“Make good use of your time, it flies fast.”
So during a situation in which you have to spend most or even all of your time at home, it can really lead to a sense of restlessness because most of our lives are busy and over-programmed with work schedules and commuting and social obligations and other responsibilities and if you have children there are a whole slew of other events that tend to fill up your time.
So being on quarantine or otherwise cooped up at home can leave you wondering what to do with your time. So what’s surprising to most people is that even when they feel like they all of a sudden have an overabundance of time to spare entire days or even weeks can fly by with absolutely nothing being accomplished. It is surprising and I know because I’ve been there so especially when this period of homebound ness happens unexpectedly or not by your choice it’s really easy to fall into the trap of filling your time with empty actions in order to stay busy but actually doing nothing.
It’s easy to get wrapped up in worrying thoughts and fussing over this or that or distracting yourself in negative ways. So like we’ve said this experience is an opportunity to spend this extra time on something meaningful.
Whether you learn how to use this time to learn and grow as we’ve discussed or you simply use it to do things you enjoy.
It’s important to know that it takes a conscious decision to make the most out of this situation. And if you do not make an effort to be productive and focus on positive experiences then, unfortunately, your default will be to waste your time on unhealthy distractions on worrying or feeling aimless and restless and bored.
- So we’re going to look at ideas for what you can do with this time that maybe you’ve always wished that you had time for and then we’re going to look at healthy and unhealthy types of distractions because you’re going to need to distract yourself but you might as well make it worth it.
- So another way to experience this is as an opportunity is to recognize that there are likely lots of things that you’ve always wished that you had time for and how will you do.
- So what are some of those things that you may already love doing but you just don’t normally have time for?
- So this could be things like hobbies that you already have that you haven’t been able to focus on.
- It could be having phone calls with people that you don’t usually have a chance to catch up with.
- It could be catching up on your favorite show or even re-watching your favorite movies.
- You also want to ask yourself what are some new things that you’ve always wanted to try. But you never have an excuse to do it.
- You could try a new exercise like yoga you could learn to paint or try out any sort of new hobby that you can think of.
- And then you also want to ask yourself what are some things you’ve been putting off.
- Or maybe even walking 10000 steps a day.
Now is your chance so take some time and use the worksheet provided to make a list of these things that you’re finally going to have some time to do. And then in those moments when you’re feeling bored and restless and you’re not sure what to do with your time you can pull out this list and start doing something that’s enjoyable or at least productive.
And really what it comes down to is if times in the past anyway during this challenging situation you might as well spend that time enjoying yourself.
But more importantly, you don’t want to necessarily wait until you feel bored to pick up this listen do these things.
You want to plan these things into your life and add them to your goals because otherwise, you’re not going to end up doing much. And if you don’t plan them in then you’re just you’re going to be spinning your wheels wasting a lot of your time and it’s going to continue to build.
And so we’re going to talk more about how to integrate some of these things that you want to do with your time into your daily plan and you have to be a little bit proactive and if there’s something new to you then you’re going to find that it’s actually extremely gratifying to feel like you’re in control of your life.
So in this type of situation, you can feel very out of control. But by making a plan and knowing these things on your list that you can do with your time and making a little bit concrete which we’re going to get into. Like the purpose and vision and goals section, it really gives you a sense of empowerment feeling like you do have more control over your life experience through this.